2017 GETTY MULTICULTURAL UNDERGRADUATE INTERNSHIPS
Self Help Graphics & Art (SHG) Seeks Qualified Undergraduate Students for Paid Summer Internships through the 2017 Getty Multicultural Undergraduate Internship Program.
- The Documentation & Archive Internship position will assist in the development and organization of SHG’s print inventory from 2013-2016, as well as associated inventory and materials.
- The Communications Internship position will assist in audience building through the development of campaigns to support activities surrounding SHG’s Dia de los Muertos Season, Getty PST LA/LA initiative, and the organization’s 45th anniversary in 2018, among programming.
*** APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 17, 2017, 5PM (PST)***
Self Help Graphics & Art is a nationally recognized center for Latino arts that develops and nurtures artists in printmaking. SHG seeks to advance Latino art broadly through programming, exhibitions, and outreach to diverse audiences in East Los Angeles and beyond. SHG seeks to identify and engage young and emerging artists from the community in all aspects of its activities.
Duration of Internship
The internship is a full-time (40 hours/week) position, with a salary of $5,000, for a consecutive ten-week work period between June 12 and August 18, 2017.
- Strong grasp of Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and Adobe Photoshop
- Excellent research and writing skills; ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Must be organized and detailed oriented
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Be of African-American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent;
- Be currently enrolled undergraduates. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 2017, and those who will complete their degree by September 1, 2017 are also eligible to apply; (Students who are enrolled in a second BA or BS program are not eligible.)
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
Please note that students who have previously served as a Getty Multicultural Summer Intern at SHG or who have served as such at more than two other organizations are not eligible for consideration. SHG staff members and relatives of staff or board members are not eligible for these internships.
Candidates from all areas of undergraduate study will be considered and are not required to have demonstrated a previous commitment to the visual arts.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Joel Garcia Director of Programs & Operations, Joel.Garcia@selfhelpgraphics.com with “Getty Internship – Documentation” or “Getty Internship – Communications” in the subject line to apply.
Documentation and Archive Internship Workplan
The Documentation and Archive Intern will assist in the development and organization of Self Help Graphics & Art’s (SHG) print inventory from 2014-2017, as well as associated inventory and materials.
Duties will include:
- Organizing and conducting print inventory in SHG’s print showroom
- Transferring information from Certificate of Authenticity into a master database, for all recent prints created in the past year
- Documenting works via digital photography (working with professional or student photographers)
- Creating summary/marketing documents for print ateliers, special projects, and current partnerships
The goal of the Documentation and Archive Internship will be to provide SHG with a primary electronic database for its ongoing electronic and online initiatives. SHG’s strategic plan, adopted by its Board of Directors in 2017, addresses activating print sales in new ways to maximize earned income sources, as well as broadening our collector market. The Documentation and Archive Intern will also assist in a comprehensive inventory of SHG’s print collection, with the implementation of a barcode system to electronically track inventory and sales. The Documentation and Archive Intern’s work will directly be impacting these broader organizational goals and objectives. SHG’s initiatives include:
- Managing a primary art database with information regarding art work, artists, and collectors (internal systems)
- Digitizing SHG’s print archive for promotional and sales purposes (earned income initiatives)
Communications Internship Workplan
The Communications Intern will assist in the development of a storytelling campaign that showcases artists from across the organization’s 44 year history. A small scale execution of this campaign will be utilized to gear up for the 44th Annual Self Help Graphics & Art (SHG) Dia de los Muertos season of Community Art Workshops (CAWS) and Festival to run parallel and in concert with our SHG’s Pacific Standard Time LA/LA exhibition communications plan. This will later inform the execution of larger scale campaigns for SHG’s 45th anniversary in 2018.
Duties will include:
- Research on legacy, mid-career and emerging artists within Self Help Graphics’ network and history, including a spotlight on young artists (15 – 24 years of age).
- Content development including co-curating of archival images, text or video anecdotes, etc.
- Research on Self Help Graphics’ art collectors and key influencers to be gathered and stored for 45th anniversary campaign.
The Communications Intern will also provide support for current communications initiatives. In collaboration with SHG staff, intern will create and execute digital communications plan for the following SHG initiatives: Inaugural Chicana/o & Latina/o Printmaking Summit, JornARTleros (Day Laborers) Project, year-round artist marketplace pop-ups, and remaining end-of-year programming.
Interns will work directly with SHG’s Co-Directors, Joel Garcia and Betty Avila.